Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Heart of Health . . . See What I Did There?

Ahh, working out.
Seems like a good idea, huh? Heart and muscles are healthy, you live longer, the works.

Well, this blog is about my health, habits and hobbies. And today, I am updating about health, and will continue to update frequently, twice a week, for the next few months.

I am undergoing a project, and it is to be fit. College, working, and practicing (music) have taken a lot of time off of my workouts. In high school, I was an athlete. I practiced two-four hours a day, was on two different teams, did dry workouts on my own (I was a swimmer), and even did swim lessons (in which themselves were a workout). I burned up to 2500 calories every day, ate about 5000 a day, and was a consistent 135lbs, and a size 3-5 in jeans. My blood pressure stood at a good 105/65 with a pulse of 66 of resting. I wasn't thin, I was ripped. My "girl" figure was diminished greatly (mainly my bust and hips) for my athletic body. But I didn't care. I felt good, looked good, and that was all that mattered.

Then college happened. And the freshman fifteen hit. And the sophomore ten. And the junior five. So, I gained about thirty pounds. It didn't stop there, as I gained another 10. So now, I am burning 100-200 calories a day, eat about 2500, am 175lbs, and a size 11-13 in jeans. My blood pressure is 139/89 (almost at hypertension I) with pulse of 84 resting and I've had doctors give me the worried look. Let's just say, I've put on a few. Luckily, my figure has filled out some. So I have hips and a bust, and that's not from weight. So, all in all, I look like I weigh 155lbs. But that is still too much. I feel tired all the time, I feel sick when I eat. I don't feel confident. I shy away from shopping. I shy away from going to pools and beaches. My racing suit from the old days wont fit up my hips. Nor do my legs fit into my old pants.

Then I realized, it was time for a real change. Quite frankly, I don't care who knows how big I am now.  Because I am changing it once and for all. I will never see these numbers again. I will be back down to a similar size. I am taking on the 2fit challenge. I call it that because of the inspiration.

Do we all remember the trainer who gained a bunch of weight in 6 months to see what it was like? Well, I kinda feel like that trainer. I was fit. Now I am fat. No, I will become fit again. He did. Why can't I?


http://fit2fat2fit.com/


Check it out! It's pretty cool!

Anyhow, he gained more than I did, and I felt strange when I read this. So many times, I give up on myself. So many times. I would get tired and quit.

My real issue is not motivation. My issue is time. I work a full and part time job right now, working 60+ hours a week. Over the school year, I take about 20 credits and work 20-30 hours a week. And I practice. And I'm in ensembles, and I have recitals and concerts to prepare for. And I'm applying for grad schools. But this is still psychological. The saying, "you will MAKE time for the things you want/love" is absolutely true. I can make time for it. Why haven't I? Because it's not convenient.

So, I've decided to walk an hour in the morning as a "waker upper." Then I will be working on p90x2, a very intense fitness program. I've heard many times, "it's too intense, you'll burn yourself out." But, I use to live on the edge of intensity: why stop? Because I lost convenience. P90x2 is a dvd set that I can do at home. When I get home, I would do it. Good idea, I'd say.

My overall goals: to look good, feel great.

I know I won't be able to get all the way back down to my high school weight. No one does.

My smaller goals: To be 145lbs, size 5-7 in jeans, blood pressure ~110/75 with pulse at 72.

So I must lose 30 pounds, 5 pant sizes, and cut my blood pressure down a good chunk.

Every six weeks, I will be weighing in, measuring, and updating how much my body has changed. I will be posting pictures next weigh in compared to starting.


I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of giving myself excuses.

I will succeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment